Friday, May 2, 2008

First-Year Jitters

September 2nd

Well, here I am.
Daisy Finnigan, about to embark on the greatest adventure of her 11-year-old life.
Hogwarts.

See, it would be a bit more exciting if I wasn't so nervous. Mum says that it's okay to be nervous, that everyone is before heading off to school, but I wouldn't know. I was never this nervous back at the public schools in London. I knew everyone, my friends, my enemies, my teachers...

...and now I know no one.

Mum thought she could calm my jitters by handing me a diary. Said to write in it at least once a week, and it would make me feel better. Well, I don't believe her! The only thing to make me feel better would be to be back home in my flat with my mum and little sister. Freya, my owl, isn't even with me--she's in the owlery, in a whole other building. This upsets me--what if she gets cold, sad? What if she misses me?

Knock it off, Daisy. She's an owl. She's probably doing better than you, making other owl friends. You're just sitting here in the Ravenclaw common room, not talking to anyone.

Well, it's not my fault I'm being anti-social. After getting sorted into Ravenclaw last night, the prefects marched us up to the common room where a bunch of older girls were already sitting down, chatting up a storm and, get this--knitting! I haven't touched my needles since the train ride. I would love to go and join them, but they're all so much better than me! Look at them--that girl's making SOCKS! And that one over there--a sweater! They put my lumpy hat to shame.

Oh well. I'd better get this over with. If I don't join them now, I never will.
I'm going to go grab my knitting bag and join them. Who knows--maybe they'll even show me a few new tricks.

Or they'll laugh at pitiful hat. And if they do, I'm sure that girl's lace over there could use a mighty good frogging...

1 comment:

Dana said...

Dear Daisy--
I am new too. Have you heard me crying at night? I'm excited but so very nervous about this first year at Hogwarts.

Will you go to breakfast with me?
Pretty please?

Hydrangea